[Download-List] HTML - bold

Wendy Smoak Wendy.Smoak at asu.edu
Fri Feb 6 11:07:04 EST 2004

Wendy Smoak wrote:
> I would suggest using the XML format, and applying an XSL
> stylesheet to
> it after the fact to transform it into HTML.  Embedding markup in the
> HTML is, as you already found out, going to get ugly.
> Here's an example:
> http://members.cox.net/opensourceaz/xml/example.html

Well, apparently I'm not quite awake.  I meant that embedding markup
(HTML) in the *DOWNLOAD* command is going to get ugly.

If you do XML/XSLT, you'd probably define the column headings in the
XSLT.

There's a much simpler solution, and that's to use <th> tags for the
first row of the table and use a Cascading Style Sheet (CSS).  (Most
browsers already render <th> as bold.)  Unfortunately, it looks like
DOWNLOAD doesn't produce <th>'s.

Dave, would that be a difficult change?  I'm working with this example:

PA
SELECT PERSON SAMPLE 2
DOWNLOAD PERSON \
  FORMAT HTML \
  HEADING \
  LITERAL "ID" \
  LITERAL "Name" \
 DETAIL \
  @ID \
  PERSON.NAME

And I'm getting this:

<HTML>
<HEADING>
<TITLE>

</TITLE>
</HEADING>
<BODY>
<TABLE BORDER="1">
<TR><TD><B>ID</B></TD><TD><B>Name</B></TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>0080804</TD><TD>Mrs. Amy Smith</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>0161490</TD><TD>Ms. Jane Brown</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

I think that the first row, specified by 'HEADING' should come out as
<th> tags.

On a different topic, I've never seen a <HEADING> tag in HTML.  I think
that's supposed to be <HEAD> just beneath the <HTML> tag.

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.