[Download-List] Help with XML format of non-associated multivalued field

Wendy Smoak Wendy.Smoak at asu.edu
Thu Feb 12 17:13:53 EST 2004

DOWNLOAD seems to be insisting on an association for every multivalued
field.

XML association name "" (field "CONTACT.DETAIL") does not generate a
valid XML name.

CONTACT.DETAIL is multivalued, but it's just lines of text, the values
are not associated to any other field.  I need to get output like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<download>
<contact>
  <id>12304</id>
  <detail>
    <contactdetail>Some text</contactdetail>
    <contactdetail>some more text</contactdetail>
    <contactdetail>even more text</contactdetail>
    <contactdetail>the last line</contactdetail>
  </detail>
</contact>
</download>

Instead, this is as close as I've been able to come:

>DOWNLOAD CONTACT @ID CONTACT.DETAIL MULTI.VALUE NUM.VALUES ALL
XML.ASSOC.NAME '
detail' FORMAT XML
DOWNLOAD version 6.02
Using input file CONTACT
Output to screen

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<download>
<contact>
  <id>12304</id>
  <detail>
    <contactdetail>Some text</contactdetail>
  </detail>
  <detail>
    <contactdetail>some more text</contactdetail>
  </detail>
  <detail>
    <contactdetail>even more text</contactdetail>
  </detail>
  <detail>
    <contactdetail>the last line</contactdetail>
  </detail>
</contact>
</download>

Is there a way to make that happen?  Some way to tell DOWNLOAD that not
all multivalued fields are associated?

If not... I'm thinking an I-Descriptor that swaps in a space for the
value mark, so it comes out as one big block of text.  Any other ideas?
People do try to format "paragraphs" within this field, but we try to
discourage them.

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.