[Download-List] ASCII character numbers for quotes, apostrophes, etc.

Jeffery G. Summers jsummers at transy.edu
Mon Apr 10 10:58:50 EDT 2006

Hey fellow DOWNLOADers.  I have a very basic extract I give to our webmaster
who is working on an online catalog project.  I extract 4 things from our
COURSES file - the Subject, Course No, Course Title, and Course Description.
The last 2 fields are Computed Columns where I convert @VM marks to spaces
so all the information will extract in one column instead of several.

The webmaster has asked if I could change the 146, 147, & 148 numbers to an
HTML format of ’ (for each of these numbers).  I've noticed that for
the Title it leaves apostrophes, commas, etc., but the description
automatically changes to the numbers.

I'm trying to accommodate the request with as little additional processing
as possible.  Is there anything I can do using DOWNLOAD to produce the
results asked for or should I do some additional post- or pre-processing
along with the DOWNLOAD extract?  Thanks for any suggestions.  It's Monday
and I can't quite get my thinking cap on yet... :-)

=========================
Jeffery G. Summers
Transylvania University
Colleague R17/Ben 5.1/AIX 5.3.3
859-233-8134
=========================

Below is my extract paragraph and a sample of the output it produces:

SELECT COURSES WITH CRS.CURRENT.STATUS EQ 'A'
DOWNLOAD COURSES \
  CRS.SUBJECT \
  CRS.NO \
  T52.CRS.TITLE \
  T52.CRS.DESC \
FILE FIC.OUTPUT catalog.txt FORMAT QUOTE OVERWRITING

--->T52.CRS.TILE = CONVERT(@VM,' ',CRS.TITLE)
--->T52.CRS.DESC = CONVERT(@VM,' ',CRS.DESC)

"WRC","2314","Writing for Writing's Sake","147If you want to be a writer,
you have to write every day,148 says Walter Mosley, in his essay, 147For
Authors, Fragile Ideas Need Loving Every Day.148 If this is true, many of us
are doomed as writers. Is there hope for those writers among us who do not
manage to find time in college to write what they want and need to write? An
excuse to bring writers together for the pleasure of reading and talking
about writing (not to mention the joy of actually devoting time to doing
it), this course examines the writing life and offers writers a chance to do
what they love to do. In the weeks we146re together, we146ll write (a lot)
and share (a lot). We146ll also take the time to polish a portion of what we
write for the purpose of compiling an end-of-term collection of the
workshop146s best and most interesting efforts. IV"

Successfully Scanned by the McAfee SIG 3200 Appliance.