[Download-List] Datatel clients using Cedarville Download

Don Prezioso dprez at ashland.edu
Tue Nov 29 10:06:05 EST 2011

Dave,

I have to say it definitely would help. Just how much would depend greatly
how ready we are for the transition to begin with.

My plan is to get ODS up and running while we are are on UniData, and over
time (perhaps years) transition most, if not all of our UniData query-type
processes to run off the ODS. My understanding (perhaps flawed) is that
exporting data from SQL Server in comma delimited, or XML formats is more a
possibility with native tools than is the case for UniData. So if we can
get all our UniData queries and exports moved to the ODS, then DOWNLOAD
would be a non-issue. On the other hand, if for some reason we had to move
to SQL server before we could make this transition via ODS, the ability to
use DOWNLOAD from SQL server would greatly enhance our ability to make a
smooth transition faster. I would have to say that a majority of our
'Query' output now is actually a select, download, and then email the
output as an attachment.

Transition issues aside, I've always felt that what you have provided with
DOWNLOAD (the ability to export data in a variety of formats, with a tool
that lends itself to automation) is something that should have been a built
in part of the database system to begin with, and absent that, should be an
inherent capability of Envision reporting. To my mind, any Envision report,
at least in it's design, should have the ability to be output in a variety
of formats. As it is now, the only one provided is text (report), but
should also have the options of 'delimited', 'XML', 'HTML', 'Fixed'...

For what it's worth, I think Datatel should have bought you out years ago
and embedded the functionality of DOWNLOAD in Envision. But then I also
think they should provide native PDF output (not the mail-merge type of
functionality they have now, but print a text report to PDF so it can be
e-mailed and not lose it's formatting). What they have done with the report
browser is halfway there...

Don

--
Don Prezioso