[Download-List] Wish List for extracts destined for Excel spreasheets.

David L. Rotman ROTMAND at cedarville.edu
Tue Nov 11 08:47:18 EST 2003

Jacob--

If I understand what you are trying to do, there is an easier
way to generate a blank line in front of the totals.

Here is an example using student grade-point averages:

001: PA
002: SELECT STUDENTS SAMPLE 4
003: DOWNLOAD STUDENTS @ID \
004:  C26STU.NAME \
005:  C26STU.CUM.GPA \
006:  FOOTING.ON FINAL LITERAL '*****' LINE 1 \
007:    LITERAL '*****' \
008:    LITERAL '*****' \
009:  LITERAL ' ' LINE 2 \
010:  LITERAL 'AVERAGE' \
011:  AVERAGE C26STU.CUM.GPA

Lines 6-8 in the paragraph generate the first footing line
(consisting of three fields of asterisks).  Lines 9-11 generate
the second footing line (containing an empty cell, the
word AVERAGE, and the computed average gpa).

By an historical oddity, the LINE qualify follows the
first field of the line being specified.  So, the reading
of the paragraph may seem a little odd at first.

Dave Rotman
Director of Computer Services
Cedarville University
251 N. Main Street
Cedarville, OH 45314
rotmand at cedarville.edu
voice 937-766-7905
fax 937-766-8819

>>> jacob.geluk at simmons.edu 10/1/2003 9:22:29 AM >>>
Created two i-descriptors that return a blank and a line feed
respectively so that I could add blank lines and blank cells to the
output.

Because the output line feed is sandwiched between two delimiters
(tabs
in my case) there is an extra blank cell added in the line after the
line feed which becomes a blank first/extra cell in the following
line.
I would like the ability to add blank lines and cells natively in
download.  That way, I would be able to create extracts where there
are
blank lines after or before each control break or have multi-line
headers/footers natively as well.

FOOTING.ON\

  XSTC.SCH.SORT.PDC\

  XSTC.LINE.FEED\

  XSTC.SCH.SORT.PDC\

  LITERAL "TOTALS:"\

  XSTC.NULL\

  XSTC.NULL\

  XSTC.NULL\

  XSTC.NULL\

  XSTC.NULL\

  TOTAL COUNTER\

  TOTAL XSTC.VOC.DOM.SCH\

  TOTAL XSTC.VOC.IE.SCH\

  TOTAL XSTC.VOC.SCH\

  TOTAL XSTC.CST.SCH\

  TOTAL XSTC.VOC.CST.SCH\

 FOOTING.ON\

  FINAL\

  XSTC.LINE.FEED\

  LITERAL "GRAND TOTALS"\

  XSTC.NULL\

  XSTC.NULL\

  XSTC.NULL\

  TOTAL COUNTER\

  TOTAL XSTC.VOC.DOM.SCH\

  TOTAL XSTC.VOC.IE.SCH\

  TOTAL XSTC.VOC.SCH\

  TOTAL XSTC.CST.SCH\

  TOTAL XSTC.VOC.CST.SCH\

Jacob Geluk, Administrative Systems Analyst

Simmons College 300 The fenway

Boston MA 02114

(617) 521-2198