[Download-List] Suppressing the root element in XML

David L. Rotman rotmand at cedarville.edu
Fri Jan 14 14:21:03 EST 2005

Wendy--

Having a way to suppress the root element sounds like
a good idea to me.  I'll add that to the next version of
DOWNLOAD.

I'm considering adding the capability to generate
an embedded DOCTYPE for XML output.  Do you have
any thoughts regarding how important that is or any
recommendations on specific style/formatting?

>>> Wendy.Smoak at asu.edu 1/10/2005 3:42:26 PM >>>

I tried to suppress the root element with
  XML.ROOT.NAME ''
but it just reverted to <download> and complained:
  Expecting XML root name, found nothing.

My current workaround is (after DOWNLOADing to a file and reading it
back in):
  SWAP '<download>' WITH '' IN R.HOLD
  SWAP '</download>' WITH '' IN R.HOLD

A similar sort of suppresion works with
  XML.VERSION ''
to suppress the <?xml ...> tag entirely.

In this case I'm working with a single PERSON record, so I don't need
the extra outer element tag.  In other cases I'm producing sections of
XML that get concatenated, and again, the extra outer tag is not
needed.

--
Wendy Smoak