[Download-List] Suppressing the root element in XML

Wendy Smoak Wendy.Smoak at asu.edu
Mon Jan 10 15:42:26 EST 2005

I tried to suppress the root element with
  XML.ROOT.NAME ''
but it just reverted to <download> and complained:
  Expecting XML root name, found nothing.

My current workaround is (after DOWNLOADing to a file and reading it
back in):
  SWAP '<download>' WITH '' IN R.HOLD
  SWAP '</download>' WITH '' IN R.HOLD

A similar sort of suppresion works with
  XML.VERSION ''
to suppress the <?xml ...> tag entirely.

In this case I'm working with a single PERSON record, so I don't need
the extra outer element tag.  In other cases I'm producing sections of
XML that get concatenated, and again, the extra outer tag is not needed.

--
Wendy Smoak