[Download-List] counter and variables in a paragraph?

Twitchell, Wayne TWITCHEW at Grinnell.EDU
Wed Jul 20 09:46:29 EDT 2005

so this will allow me to reuse the value .
i ust make this prompt a parameter in a cron job when i touch off the
paragraph? (i'm hoping to jsut have this paragraph run as cron).

________________________________

	From: download-list-bounces at cedarville.edu
[mailto:download-list-bounces at cedarville.edu] On Behalf Of Linda Miller
	Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 8:13 AM
	To: Cedarville DOWNLOAD Users
	Subject: Re: [Download-List] counter and variables in a
paragraph?

	For getting a variable into a paragraph, I do this:

	At the beginning of the paragraph:

	* <<Enter Term to Process>>  - you do need the * in front and
the user gets the text between <<>> as a prompt.

	Then when ever you want to use it:

	SELECT STUDENTS WITH STU.TERMS = '<<Enter Term to Process>>'

	Or:

	DATA  <<Enter Term to Process>>

	Twitchell, Wayne wrote:

		Good evening.
		I have just started using the download program and I
have a couple of seeming simple questions.

		The first question involves adding a sequential number
to the output of a  DOWNLOAD statement. I have to create a 'key' to my
output file that can't be a student or datatel id and can not be
"guessable" .
		is there any solution like some form of counter? I have
not seen anything like this in the @ variables. I was hoping for a
record number or something.

		My second question is about using variables in
paragraphs.
		We run several paragraphs that require a 'term' to be
entered manually. I am currently using a "data" statement THUS:

		SELECT STUDENTS WITH NO G77.STU.HIATUS EQ 'PERL' 'MEDL'
SELECT.ONLY
		DATA 2005/SP

		I do this for students and for courses and enrollments
and assignments. These statements are all in one long paragraph. Is
there any way I can put a variable in the paragraph that will let me
change the current term' once and be done with it?

		thank you all for your time and consideration

		Wayne Twitchell
		Applications Integrator/Developer
		Information Technology Services - Campus Information
Systems Team
		Grinnell College
		641-269-4348
		twitchew at grinnell.edu