[Download-List] download

Scott Howder HOWDERS at cedarville.edu
Tue Mar 7 15:48:53 EST 2006

1.  What you are looking for is the LITERAL phrase.  Something like the
following:

DOWNLOAD filename field1 field2 LITERAL '' field3...

The LITERAL '' phrase says to insert a literal value.  In this case a
null.
You shouldn't have to create an I-desc that downloads a null
character.

2.  You can use the QUOTE.CHAR phrase.  Like so:

DOWNLOAD filename field1 field2 ... FORMAT COMMA QUOTE.CHAR '' ...

The QUOTE.CHAR phrase replaces the quotes with whatever character(s)
you indicate.

Scott

Scott Howder
Associate Director of Computer Services
Cedarville University
howders at cedarville.edu
937-766-7905

>>> minatrae at hsutx.edu 3/7/2006 2:16 PM >>>
I have two situations in which I need a little nudge:

1)  I need to download basically a null field into a comma delimited
file (i.e. xxx,,,xxx)) where the information between the commas is
null,
has no value.  I do not know how to build my idescriptor to do this.

2)  Also, when downloading to a comma delimited file, I remember
something about being able to remove the quotes but I can't find that
reference.  Can anyone help with that.

Thanks for any help and have a GREAT day!

-------------------------
"Life is but a twinkle in the eye of eternity"
"The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the
distance
between your knees and the floor"
"sorrow looks back - worry looks around - faith looks up"
Regards,
Pat H. Minatra - N5GJR
(325) 670-5804 voice
(325) 670-1570 fax