[Download-List] Extracting multi-values as one block of text

Scott Howder HOWDERS at cedarville.edu
Tue Mar 23 12:47:17 EDT 2010

To get the whole course section to download correctly we use the
following i-descriptor:

:AE DICT COURSES C26CRS.DESC.SV
Top of "C26CRS.DESC.SV" in "DICT COURSES", 9 lines, 112 characters.
*--: P7
001: I
002: CONVERT(@VM,' ',CRS.DESC)
003:
004: SV Description
005: 50T
006: S
007:
I'm not able to get the same results using an EVAL statement.

Scott

Scott Howder
Assistant CIO
Cedarville University
howders at cedarville.edu
937-766-7905

>>> On 3/23/2010 at 12:16 PM, in message
<01c401cacaa4$3c2845c0$b478d140$@edu>, "Jeffery G. Summers"
<jsummers at transy.edu> wrote:

I gave Brian’s CONVERT suggestion a whirl but have run into a problem.

My sample course record’s CRS.DESC is stored as:

A course designed to provide the student with a^253basic understanding
of the nature and principles^253of war, national power, and the
Department of^253Defense role in the organization of
national^253security. The student also develops leadership^253abilities
by participating in a military^253organization, the cadet corps, which
offers a wide^253variety of situations demanding
effective^253leadership.  Course taught at the University
of^253Kentucky.

Doing a SELECT and DOWNLOAD COURSES CRS.DESC it comes out (as
expected):

"A course designed to provide the student with a"

Doing DOWNLOAD COURSES EVAL “CONVERT(@VM,’ ‘,CRS.DESC)” it comes out
as:

"A course designed to provide the student with a basic understanding of
the nature and principles of war, national power, and t"

All of my descriptions stop at 126 characters (the field itself is 50
characters).  Is there something else I’m missing?  Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Regards,

Jeffery G. Summers
Administrative Computing