[Download-List] counter and variables in a paragraph?

Twitchell, Wayne TWITCHEW at Grinnell.EDU
Tue Jul 19 18:32:34 EDT 2005

Good evening.
I have just started using the download program and I have a couple of
seeming simple questions.

The first question involves adding a sequential number to the output of
a  DOWNLOAD statement. I have to create a 'key' to my output file that
can't be a student or datatel id and can not be "guessable" .
is there any solution like some form of counter? I have not seen
anything like this in the @ variables. I was hoping for a record number
or something.

My second question is about using variables in paragraphs.
We run several paragraphs that require a 'term' to be entered manually.
I am currently using a "data" statement THUS:

SELECT STUDENTS WITH NO G77.STU.HIATUS EQ 'PERL' 'MEDL' SELECT.ONLY
DATA 2005/SP

I do this for students and for courses and enrollments and assignments.
These statements are all in one long paragraph. Is there any way I can
put a variable in the paragraph that will let me change the current
term' once and be done with it?

thank you all for your time and consideration

Wayne Twitchell
Applications Integrator/Developer
Information Technology Services - Campus Information Systems Team
Grinnell College
641-269-4348
twitchew at grinnell.edu